Thursday, January 29, 2015

Mom's Muffins

These muffins are [one of] my favorite breakfasts when I visit my parents. I always bring back all the leftovers when I return home and enjoy them for about a week until I run out. They are healthy and delicious, so I decided it was time to get the recipe from mom and give it a whirl myself! These are packed with blueberries, oats, and nuts - giving them a chewy nutty texture and a naturally sweet fruity flavor.

Ingredients:

  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup oil (canola, grape, or avocado)
  • 1 cup quick oats (Mom often uses 1/4 cup oat bran and 3/4 cup quick oats for fiber and good health)
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)
  • 1 1/4 cups blueberries

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400.
Mix top 4 ingredients and dry ingredients (except nuts and blueberries) separately, then combine and mix until dry ingredients are moistened.
Fold in the nuts and blueberries.
Distribute among 12 muffin cups and bake 20-25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment